Last night, we slept at school and had a slumber party with pizza and movies. It was just us students, plus Amadou the guard, who's here all the time anyway. I guess you could say we were feeling a little homesick. We watched 'The Departed', which still was as good as the first time I saw it, and then started to watch 'Clue'... It was nice sleeping piled on mats in the air-conditioned classroom! We also celebrated Mackenzie's birthday, which was on Monday, with a delicious, buttery, strawberry chocolate cake, donated by SIT. SIT is so nice about that! They bought a cake for Jenn's birthday too--they want us to feel at home.
We didn't see the crescent moon last night, so Korité (aka Eid-ul-Fitr, the Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan--the end of fasting! return to a normal country! where things aren't slow and grumpy!), well, it is not today. The few that are fasting in the group got up today for the xeud (the morning 'meal' at around 5am, before the morning prayer, while it's still dark), and hopefully for the last time. They saw the moon in Nigeria, so Ramadan is over for them... But for us, it will (cross your fingers!) be tomorrow, or Sunday. I'm excited for the big hullabaloo either tomorrow or Sunday. I'm kind of sad though, because I wasn't able to have a Korité outfit made in time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment